24 March 2014

Fine Gardening Says MIRACLE GRO POTTING MIX Best All Around?

Best All Around? ARE YOU KIDDING!


Fine Gardening has, in its' current issue, an article written by  Jeff Gilman, comparing several popular brands of potting mixes. 

The "former Associate Professor in the Department of Horticultural Science at the University of Minnesota, and am currently an instructor at Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, North Carolina". according to his web site. 

I usually like what Jeff has to say since he used to hold no punches when giving his opinion on matters horticultural.

The article is more advertorial than editorial. No negatives aspects were mentioned in any test except for the beneficial bacteria and mychorrizae found in two of the brands tested. 

However to determine Miracle Gro Potting Mix as "Best Overall" simply because it is the most ordinary seems like a cop out. I am wondering how much influence the editorial board at Fine Gardening had in the final outcome of this article. 

The mixes tested included Miracle Gro Potting Mix,  Osmocote, Happy Frog and Espoma Organic. Of these soils Happy Frog is by far the best in my opinion. I have used all the mixes Gilman tested and by far prefer the Fox Farm Product. While Espoma is OK rampant price increases have left my wallet too light to use their soils any longer.

There are so many better potting mixes available to customers than Miracle Gro.


















Garden advice you can dig!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of Happy Frog too as it was one of the first real potting soils I was introduced to when I decided to actively avoid using Miracle Gro in my gardening endeavors. I don't see how MG could have beaten HF at all.

    ReplyDelete